Monday, January 2, 2012

The Mission

My initial goals for myself are quite modest. I want to become fit enough to actually exercise. Does that make sense? I have neglected myself to the point that anything more strenuous than walking and stretching might cause an injury:( But instead of letting that sad state of affairs stop me, I will move forward! I will focus on building a foundation of good habits, and a fitness plan that respects my limitations and allows me to grow toward my ideals.

THE PLAN
It's all about developing new habits to support a new lifestyle! Baby steps! Daily logs to track decisions, meals and workouts. Weekly check-ins to measure progress.

Overall Objective:
-Gain core strength for better posture, and to alleviate back pain
-Relax and condition my tense muscles, improving my flexibility and circulation
-Feel great, vital and alive, feel mentally alert
-To have the energy to live my life, to have more fun
-To have the strength and stamina to do anything I want to
-Be fit and heart healthy enough that I could run to save my own life or someone else's
-To enjoy eating, to love what I'm eating, and to eat consciously until satisfied
-To shed unnecessary fat, but retain healthy tissues

PHASE 1
Go to bed on time - get plenty of sleep!
30 min of non-strenuous, therapeutic exercise daily - physical therapy, gentle yoga, walking

(Have you noticed I haven't listed the number of pounds I want to lose? That's because I honestly don't care at this point! I just want to be able to get through the day with out taking a bunch of ibuprofen.) 

Completion of this phase will allow me to achieve a level of fitness that most normal people start at. This will also be that great foundation of new habits and routines that will carry me through the other phases.

PHASE 2 
Go to bed on time - get plenty of sleep!
30 min of challenging exercise daily, both strength training and cardio
30 min of therapeutic exercise daily - physical therapy, gentle yoga
Follow the 4 Golden Rules of Eating, and clean up the diet:
Eat a clean breakfast
Eat a clean dinner
Eat a fun lunch
Have a free eating day every week

PHASE 3 
Go to bed on time - get plenty of sleep!
Increase challenge and intensity of daily exercise
Begin to practice fun exercise - martial arts, free running, acrobatics, rock climbing
Eat clean 6 days a week, 1 free day
Continue to clean up diet - all home grown, organic, fresh food

Unlike every plan I've made for myself in the past, there are no time or weight based deadlines. Phases may be completed in weeks or months. It's been said that the only way to stay motivated is to have measurable progress. I like the tangible concrete reality of numbers, but this time around I will need to gauge my progress in the feedback my body gives me - in measurements of emotional peace, fluidity, strength, and balance. And the ability to do something without gasping for air. Now this doesn't mean I'm gonna go all year without ever stepping on a scale, I mean come on, I'm still a girl!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Shape of Beauty. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino