Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week 1 Weigh-in

So why did I decide to do weekly check-ins, when I'm NOT trying to lose weight? Simple. It starts the process of building the habit, and it keeps me focused and accountable. Plus it supports my scientific curiosity that there might be positive long term changes to my bodyfat % by making these simple daily changes like getting enough sleep, eating well, and the bare minimum of exercise.

Weekly overview
Overall a fantastic beginning! I have never before started a fitness regimen where I focused solely on behaviors, decisions and habits instead of results and numbers (like how many miles jogged, calories consumed or burned, etc). I had some really good days, and a couple not so good days. But this was a good foundation to building those new habits that I hope will stick with me for the rest of my life. What is especially encouraging is that the times when I broke my own rules, I physically felt bad. That kind of negative reinforcement is very good because it makes me eager to go back to the smart decisions.

What the numbers mean: In measuring my chest, I measure the upper chest, across the bosom, and then the upper ribcage. In earlier fitness times, I found this to be a much more accurate assessment of the area, since the bosom number can change drastically depending on which bra you wear. The arm measurement is right across the apex of of the bicep, both relaxed and flexed. I thought it would be fun to see the how the numbers would change in relation to each other as I lose fat and build muscle. Also, I believe my bodyfat scale is being overly optimistic about my percentage of fat. I believe it's much closer to 40-45%. So though it's inaccurate, it is measurable. And it's the only scale I got, so it'll have to do.

Ps: there was a time when my waist was the same measurement as my thigh is now... sheesh.

Chest     38.5"     45"     35.75"
Arm       R12"     F12.75"
Waist     37"

Hip       45"
Thigh   26.25"
Calf      15"

#     180.8#  
%    36.3%
Lean #     115.2#
Fat #         65.6#

Average steps/day: 5500


Resolution for next week
I will continue to build on my three habits! They say it takes 21 days to build a new habit, but I'm kinda stubborn, so I'm hoping to have them really locked in within 90 days.


1 - Go to bed on time - get plenty of sleep!
I started off my week by staying up 7 hours past my normal bedtime, which has had a ripple effect on everything else within my day. I'm almost certain it contributed to me succumbing to this infernal cold. This is the week to really focus on getting back into a sleep routine.

2 - 30 min of non-strenuous, therapeutic exercise daily - physical therapy, gentle yoga, walking
It will probably a good idea to schedule a time everyday to do my exercise, but for now it's so easy to fit in anywhere - even if it's right before bed. So just keep up the good work!

3 - Follow the 4 Golden Rules of Eating
I have found it really easy to do Rules 1, 2, and 4. It's that blasted #3! I swear, I feel like sometimes I need to take my meal and lock myself in a dark closet in order to quiet my monkey mind:) But surely eating with intention and appreciation can become second nature as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Shape of Beauty. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino